[hpsdr] External speaker with Mercury

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 01:21:51 PDT 2011

Hi

Sorry if this offends the overly sensitive but I don't believe in bottom posting. If anyone has been following the thread, scrolling to the bottom to see the latest one-liner is a waste of time and effort and if they haven't been following the thread then it is very easy to get up to speed by working backwards.

So: rant over.

Should I think myself lucky that I haven't done any damage to my Mercury board by plugging an 8ohm speaker directly into the Line Out socket? I don't run this at anything but low/background volume as, if I hear anything interesting, I put on my headphones. Also, as the 3.5mm jack on the speaker cable is mono, I tend to push it home only sufficiently for the tip to make contact with the ring of the socket, so I'm using only one channel (L or R?).

The output is quite sufficient for my relatively quiet shack.

Cheers & 73

Chris G4NUX