[hpsdr] Metis and Power Over Ethernet switches

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Mar 8 08:03:58 PST 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 3:32 PM, andrea montefusco wrote:

> Hi all,
> while waiting for Metis, I am wondering if its ethernet interface is
> compatible with PoE switches.
> Someone ever did this test ?

I don't remember seeing an answer to this.  I'm not sure what you're meaning by "compatible."  If you mean, "will Metis take power off of a PoE switch" the answer is "no."  If the answer is "Will Metis emit black smoke if it's hooked up to a PoE switch" I'm 99% sure that the answer is also "no."  It's not designed to work with PoE, but the gigabit chip is new enough that it should understand what PoE is and negotiate the correct parameters.

To my knowledge, it has not yet been tried, though.  I'd do it for you, but I don't have a PoE switch hanging around the office.