[hpsdr] Metis rocks!

Steve Bunch steveb_75 at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 14 14:58:39 PDT 2011

I'll ditto that!  Finally got time to bring up Metis this weekend, and it works
well.  The dropouts that I used to see with USB are gone.

I downloaded the HPSDRProgrammer zip file for Mac from the OpenHPSDR downloads
site, unzipped it, but it didn't run.  Turns out the executable file (which is
buried several folders deep, in Heterodyne.app/Contents/MacOS/Heterodyne) lost
it's 'x' bits somewhere in the process.  Turning them back on with a shell
command (chmod +x Heterodyne.app/Contents/MacOS/Heterodyne) fixed it.  After
that, it worked as advertised for updating Metis, Mercury, and Penelope.  This
is on a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.6.6, with the Mac and Metis connected to a
1Gbit switch, and a router providing DHCP.

I haven't yet gotten Heterodyne to work for me, though it's getting closer, so
I'm testing using a Windows machine.  I downloaded KK and PowerSDR from the
downloads site (I had only used the svn in the past) and they work fine, though
the PowerSDR screen skin is weird -- the "Start" button is the same color as the
background, and it took a while to find it.  Did I put the skin in the wrong
place?

Anyway, it's all up and running now, and I'm going to give a talk about SDR
tomorrow at the Motorola amateur radio club meeting in Schaumburg and will take
it along for show and tell (and probably to listen to the neon sign transformers
at the BBQ restaurant... ;-).  My main laptop's a Mac, and the screen on my
Windows netbook is awfully small, so I'm going to try to get Win7 on Parallels
to run PowerSDR and see how it goes.  Someone's bringing a Windows laptop just
in case.

Thanks for all the hard work that's been put in on the hardware, firmware, and
software!

73,
Steve, K9SRB