[hpsdr] DDC Noise Figure

Edson Pereira ewpereira at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 18:31:31 PDT 2011

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments and clarifications. My confusion was Equation 8 in
this Analog Devices paper:

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/MT-006.pdf

NF = 10log10F = PFS(dBm) + 174 dBm – SNR – 10 log10[fs/2B] – 10 log10 B

But the equation is a little misleading as pointed out by Ulrich, N1UL. It
seems that, similarly to an analog receiver, the NF at the first stage will
dominate and the total NF will not be changed throughout the receiver. The
NF will degrade the signal at each stage. The SNR however can be improved
with processing gain. Would this be  a correct statement?

73,

-- Edson