[hpsdr] Open Hardware

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:09:52 PDT 2011

I think you missed the entire point.

"Open" does not mean free as in "free beer" it means free as in "free
speech" or "a free society" as in "without restriction"  I doubt
Perens cares to much about what the stuff costs on dollars.

That said, once you remove restrictions on the reproduction of
something the cost quickly becomes very low.

Software is not really without cost because you need a computer and
you have to pay for power and an Internet connection.  Same with
hardware designs.  You'd need an FPGA development kit to take
advantage of  an "open" or "free" soft CPU design and so on.   Perens
is talking about hardware designs with out restrictions on their use.
He is not talking about giving away radios

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Richard Ames <richard at ames.id.au> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Is there a record of what Bruce Perens said??? or a summary?
>
> I'm particularly interested in the problem of making 'Open Hardware'
> really 'open' .....  Open Software can be 'really open' because the
> duplication cost is close to zero.
>
> Did he say anything about how to make low volume hardware more
> available???
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.

=====