[hpsdr] PowerSDR v2.2.3.triple_Mercury (K5SO 7NOV2011): digitally steerable antenna arrays

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Nov 7 15:44:56 PST 2011

All,

PowerSDR v2.2.3.triple_Mercury (K5SO 7NOV2011) is available for
download from

http://www.k5so.com/Triple-Mercury%20Directional%20Steering%20Program.html

This program is a major re-work of the previous triple-Mercury program
and includes:

1)  user selection of the antenna array type ("equilateral triangle"
geometry or "in-line" geometry)

2)  a calibration control for array orientations that differ from the
"default" orientations, "default" orientations are:  in-line =
antennas along a North-South line with antenna 1 furthest to North;
equilateral triangle: antenna 1 - antenna 2 along a N-S line with
antenna 1 furthest North, antenna 3 furthest East

3)  user input for the antenna spacing parameter (in meters) =
distance between adjacent antennas in your array

4) overall directional steering control and phase/gain controls for
each non-reference IQ stream

5)  display of the calculated antenna sensitivity pattern on a compass-
style display that updates when phase, gain, steering, and/or
frequency settings are changed;  the pattern calculation assumes
ideal, omnidirectional antennas but will provide useful information
for any real antenna array (I hope!)

6)  display gain control for the antenna sensitivity pattern

The program should also accurately work with only two Mercury
receivers and a two-antenna array by setting the gain control of the
missing third Mercury/antenna to zero on the steering control panel;
the calculated antenna pattern should be correct under that
condition.  Further, the program also works as a normal diversity
program (with nulling) if you happen not to be interested in
directional steering particularly.

As always, I warmly welcome anyone that's inclined to give it a try
and provide feedback.  It's very useful to have help in field testing
such a program.  While I believe that the program is coded properly
the proof will be in the field tests!   We'll fix it if it's not right!

This program is a significant improvement over my previous attempts to
create a useful steering program, I'm sure.

73,  Joe K5SO