[hpsdr] No Signals from a New HPSDR

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Nov 10 05:57:10 PST 2011

Hi Jim,

The first step in setting up a new HPSDR system is always to put the
latest firmware into all the boards.

The central spike you see in your display (and the noisy audio) is due
to incompatible firmware on the various boards, in particular, the
frequency information that is being sent from the PC to Mercury is not
arriving at Mercury in your case most likely.  The past two firmware
revisions have used different broadcast specifications from Ozy to the
Atlas bus so it is critical that you use versions of firmware that
expect the same specs for the Ozy-to-Atlas bus broadcast else Mercury
will never receive the proper instructions to run correctly.  The fact
that you get any version numbers reported at all shows that there is a
basic communications path between the PC, Ozy, and Mercury but the
"spike" you see arises because Mercury is trying to operate at zero
frequency, which of course it cannot.

I strongly recommend installing the latest set of firmware into your
boards before continuing;  Mercury v3.1, Ozy v2.1, Penelope v1.6
(Metis v1.6 if you happen to have a Metis) are the latest fully
compatible versions.   You cannot use any of these firmware versions
with any of the earlier versions as there is a totally new broadcast
length being used in the latest versions so all boards need the latest
firmware.

Also, I assume you mean Excalibur instead of Gibraltar but that's not
important as Excalibur has no firmware to worry about anyway.

When you get around to re-trying your 64-bit Windows 7 machine you
will need to use a signed driver.  That is available from the HPSDR
download site as well.  But for now if I were you I'd get the HPSDR
rig running on your XP machine since it apparently already is
basically communicating okay across the HPSDR-PC USB path fine
(otherwise you would not be seeing any version numbers being
reported).   By the way, are the version numbers you reported the
actual numbers you set in the Setup > HPSDR > firmware version
window...or what you intended to put into them?    The number you
report for Penelope makes no sense.

73,  Joe K5SO