[hpsdr] Problems Calibrating Pennylane and with LPU, Could Use Some Help

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Nov 29 10:42:21 PST 2011

Hi.

I want to describe the method I use to set the drive to the PA. Luckily I
have a good Spectrum Analyzer so by connecting it to the PA via a Power
attenuator I can adjust the output on each band so that the
intermodulation products are at least -30 dB down from the Peak Envelope
Power. I use the built in 2-tone generator in PowerSDR for this
adjustment. The Drive slider must be on 100% as Phil mention.

When using the 2-tone generator for the adjustments the power indicated on
a calibrated Power Meter will show half the PEP power. If you do not have
a Spectrum Analyzer you can use an Oscilloscope instead. The 2-tone signal
is seen as a perfectly double sinus LF signal filled with the RF. As long
as there are no or low IM products present there will be no "flat topping"
of the signal envelope. If the slightest distortion is seen, the IM3 is
around -35-40 dBc so set the output to this point. The distortion is
increasing very fast, one to 3 dB increase in drive may give 10-15 dB
higher IM3 (and IM5-IM7 aso.)

By doing this on each band, the signal you put on air will be very good.
It will not be possible to overdrive the PA.

The IM products from Penny and Pennylane are normally >-60 to -70 dBc at
500mW PEP output and that is extremely good. Please do not overdrive your
PA and destroy this.

Good luck and 73,
Kjell