[hpsdr] VHF/UHF downconverter for HPSDR

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Oct 3 05:10:51 PDT 2011

Hi Ante,

Yes, you could use an image rejection mixer. This is basically what we do in
Mercury - but since it's done digitally the image rejection is effectively
perfect.

The practical issue with an analogue image rejection mixer is this.  In
order to get 40dB of image rejection then the I and Q channels need to be
matched in amplitude to within 1dB  AND in phase within 1 degree. For every
20dB increase in image rejection these values increase by a factor of 10. So
for 60dB of image rejection the figures become 0.1dB and 0.1degree etc.
These figures needs to be maintained over the entire frequency range.

Whilst it is possible to compensate for amplitude and phase errors in
software, just like Flex do for their range of radios,  to cover 100's of
MHz could be a tall order.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just applying the "get it to work on the
whiteboard before spending any time or $'s" approach that I normally take.

We have the advantage when using Mercury as the IF that we have a huge
number of possible IF and LO frequencies that will tune the wanted
frequency.

Lets say we tune to the wanted signal with  IF's of 10MHz then  20MHz then
30MHz. If the FFT of each of these looks sensibly the same then there is a
good chance we don't have any images.  If one say gives a different FFT but
the others are the same then perhaps use one of this pair as the LO/IF pair.
If all three give different results the try some other LO+IF combinations.

Wide band image signals e.g TV stations and infrequent image signals e.g.
two way radios, could be a problem.

Have a read of the user manual for the SignalHound Spectrum Analyser, page
21

http://www.signalhound.com/manual.pdf

they appear to get very good results even though they are deliberately using
LO and IFs that will result in image responses.

Solving these problems is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration!

73's Phil...VK6APH