[hpsdr] On the air with Alex + Question...

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Mon Sep 5 13:36:23 PDT 2011

Dear Pete,

I do believe that version of W5WC's PowerSDR has the necessary code to
process the data.  Do all of Mercury, Penelope (or PennyLane) and
Ozy/Magister or Metis have the latest firmware updates?  If not, that could
be part of the problem.  W5WC also released an update about a week ago that
sets the IF freq to 0 so that LPF filter switching occurs at the proper
points at the upper edge of each band, but that shouldn't be your issue.

Are you in a position where you can measure the voltage on the wires between
Mercury and Penny?  Or on the IDC (ribbon cable connector) via which they
get from Alex to Mercury?  The jumper is to get the signals to the ADC
channels on Penny so they can be measured.  According to the Alex manual,
power is:
P = V * V / .09, where 3 v = 100W (100 = 3*3/.09).  So 20w * .09 = 1.34v.
You should see approx 1.34v on the forward power wire/pin (pin 2 on Mercury
on the Molex connector (pin 7 FWD power, pin 9 REV power, pins 1 & 8 GND).

I don't think W5WC has an Alex (yet).  I do, but I haven't finished hooking
it up yet...

73,
George K9TRV