[hpsdr] PowerSDR Gain settings

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 00:29:18 PDT 2011

Hi George

Thank you for your response.

I was very lax in my use of English. I didn't mean to imply that Alex performed the ALC function but that this function probably existed in the s/w or FPGA of Penny(lane) as a result of the information provided by Alex.

Actually I don't think my assumption was too far off target. The Calibrate (to a target) function in PA Settings of PowerSDR must use the fwd power level fed back by Alex to monitor the final o/p. How else would the s/w know what the overall gain of the PA was?

I have to admit that I'm VERY annoyed with myself for destroying a perfectly good matched pair of MRF454s because of my own stupidity.

I was aware that the only ALC function that I've seen mentioned in the documentation is that performed by Penny(lane) to limit the o/p to 0.5W. Thanks to Dan Mitchell, W0IQ, for refreshing my memory yesterday.

73

Chris G4NUX