[hpsdr] Mercury Spurious Emissions

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Sep 10 09:04:36 PDT 2011

Jeremy,

Be careful not to confuse signals that you may "see" by using a VHF
receiver to look for signals coming out of Mercury with actual RF
radiating from the Mercury connector.  What you may be proving is that
the VHF receiver you're using as a test receiver is a poor performer
in eliminating/reducing any of a variety of image frequencies, not
that Mercury itself has dramatic spurious emission problems.

True, the Mercury board is at least providing a 122.88 MHz source for
the "test" receiver to mix with its local oscillators to produce what
appears to be emissions coming from Mercury but those "signals" you
see are probably not actually radiating from Mercury itself, instead
they may actually be generated within your test receiver by mixing
with the 122.88MHz and multiples thereof that are being radiated from
Mercury.

73,  Joe K5SO