[hpsdr] My PA & Alex

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 10:28:17 PDT 2011

Hi Graham

Ok, I spent all afternoon adding grounding wires from all the modules you suggested,  including the PA, to a single point in Pandora and it made not one iota of difference. If I apply enough drive to give me more than approx 5W out of the PA then, when the drive is removed, the whole thing takes off. However when drive is applied again the expected o/p is seen. But I have to cycle power to the PA to stop the self oscillation. If I bypass Alex everything behaves impeccably.

I'm getting very despondent and not a little frustrated. It's beginning to look as if I can't use my PA with Alex. If I leave the PA out of the loop (Pennywhistle -> Alex) everything works fine though because I have a 6dB pad on the i/p of PW I can only get just over 10W out.

When I worked on an airfield for British Aerospace I had a prototype wireman working for me who used to regularly give badly behaved equipment what he called "the soak test" i.e.  he would open the workshop window and lob the kit into the static water tank a few feet away. When the fire service came to flush the static tank each year there would be a large amount of electronic gear in there and the firemen would scratch their heads and cart it away for disposal. Just now, if there was a static tank handy I would be sorely tempted to lob all my HPSDR kit in it!!!

73

Chris G4NUX