[hpsdr] PowerSDR v1.19.3.5.diversity20 (K5SO 17AUG2011)

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Sep 17 19:24:08 PDT 2011

Hi Helmut,

Yes, I agree, the situation is an unfortunate one that has caused and
apparently still causes confusion among HPSDR users.   On this
reflector there has been much discussion of the pros and cons
concerning how the control should be labeled so I hope I don't cause
yet another series of unnecessary discussions concerning the issue by
answering your question.

I continue to maintain that the proper label for the front panel
control is "ATTEN", not "PREAMP", as we DO NOT turn any pre-amp on or
off in Mercury, instead we are inserting or removing an internal pad
in between the antenna connector and the rf amplifier ahead of the ADC
chip in the Mercury receiver by using the control.

As you point out, yes, if the 20 dB pad is selected the noise figure
of the receiver will be degraded by 20 dB and your noise floor will
rise 20 dB, unless you have external signals (atmospheric noise, for
example) at the Mercury input connector that are quite large.  Now
whether that is important to you or not depends upon how you use your
Mercury receiver, especially what frequencies/bands you use.

If you spend all you time on relatively low frequency bands where
atmospheric noise is normally the dominant noise-limiting parameter
for your receiving system, then switching the 20 dB pad "in" may help
you substantially by preventing overload signal conditions from
occurring in Mercury and you will not notice an increase in your noise
floor when inserting the pad.  However, if you are operating on bands,
say 20 meters and higher in frequency, the noise-limiting parameter
for your receiving system will normally NOT be atmospheric noise but
rather it will be noise generated by the receiver itself (or
antenna).  In this case you dramatically hurt your sensitivity to weak
signals (by 20 dB, in fact!) by inserting the attenuator and you will
see an obvious 20 dB rise in the noise floor level when the pad is
inserted.

What you choose to call the front-panel control is not too important
of course as long as you, the operator, understand what the control is
actually doing.  The fact is that the control is inserting the 20 dB
pad or removing the 20 dB pad, so the less confusing label in my view
is "ATTEN", and I therefore label my PSDR versions accordingly as
"ATTEN". I think Doug W5WC uses "ATT" for the label  and sometimes I
keep that label but it means exactly the same thing, namely, ATTENUATOR.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the issue better and
doesn't generate much more discussion over this technically trivial
matter.

73,  Joe K5SO