[hpsdr] Penelope Firmware Upgrade

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Sep 23 15:31:25 PDT 2011

Joe,

You do need to do the same things that you would do with Ozy, when using
Magister, right?  In that case, Magister DOES become a USB Blaster device.
If you've never loaded the drivers for that onto your Windows 7 machine, you
would have to do that.

I've often found that I need to put my Ozy into USB Blaster mode manually.
It has never been automatic.  That means following 'step 3' in the
readme.txt and running USBBLASTER.BAT.  Otherwise, the programming batch
file fails because it cannot find the usb blaster device.  But I don't have
a Magister (just 2 Ozy and 2 Metis), so I cannot test whether Magister is
different from Ozy in this regard.  But my recollection is that it is
supposed to act the same.  And this is what I've had to do before moving to
Metis and not using the USB Blaster method.  I also have an inexpensive
(under $25) USB Blaster clone device from China that I got via eBay for when
such things just don't work, or a more complex recovery is needed.

If Ken was already able to run PowerSDR or KISS Konsole on his machine, he
already has the libusb0 drivers installed, and wouldn't need to do so again.
If he's just setting up a new computer to run PowerSDR/KISS, he would of
course have to install the libusb0 driver.  The best choice is probably the
signed driver that I worked to produce.

73,
George K9TRV