[hpsdr] Which 100-Watt Power Amplifier for HPSDR?

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Sun Sep 25 23:58:56 PDT 2011

Hi Bob.

As the one responsible for the development of Munin I´ll try to give you
an answer:

I made one lab model of Munin and got it working with normal functions on
all bands except 6 meter where the linear output was only 80 W PEP. (IM3
better than -30 dBc).

10 new PCB´s were made and distributed to the Beta builders. That was
nearly one year ago and until now only 2 of them have built and measured
their Munins.

In the meantime I have improved the linear output by replacing the output
transformer using one that follows the ideas of Helge Granberg. Now the
linear output is >100 W PEP when Vcc is 14V. (in fact it is >115 W on 6
meter) On the other bands it is >130W PEP with very good linearity. When
the voltage is decreased to 12,5 V the output drops but that seems to be
normal with all PA´s using RD100HHF1.

This results have been verified by the 2 Beta builders.

I have to do some minor modifications on the PCB layout but I believe the
construction is good now.

We have to discuss with TAPR about the progress of this project. I feel
the time is running away if we have to go through a new "Beta" build.

This amplifier is compatible with Pennylane, Penny and Hermes. In addition
it may be driven by any exciter that can give 0 dBm to +10dBm output.

73, Kjell