[hpsdr] Heterodyne for iPad and Hermes Video

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Apr 11 08:35:18 PDT 2012

On Apr 11, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Hermann <hvh.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> that is really awsome! Curious to see your OpenGL ES code!

The code for the waterfall didn't turn out to be a whole lot different. The big thing was that the class that I used to create the color gradients doesn't exist on iOS so I had to write a routine myself.

Other notes of interest on porting to OpenGL ES:

1)  OpenGL ES 2.0 is a completely different beast than anything else.  Since it has done away with the fixed rendering pipeline, you actually have to write your own vertex shaders and arrange for them to get compiled. If you're porting existing code, use OpenGL ES 1.1 instead, at least as an intermediate effort.

2) GL_QUADS has been removed, so you have to simulate it with GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP. This isn't too bad except that your texture mapping has to change.

3). None of the GLu functions are present, so you have to use the regular forms of functions like glOrtho2D.

4). glBegin/glEnd are gone. You should be using vertex arrays anyways.

5). There are a reduced number of pixel formats available for textures. GL_UNSIGNED_INT is not available, you have to use GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE.

--
Jeremy McDermond NH6Z
nh6z at nh6z.net