[hpsdr] Introducing Angelia

Abhi A abhiarunoday at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 23:12:33 PDT 2012

 Hi All,

Joe, K5SO and myself had been working on beam forming and DF applications
using the modular multiple Mercury platform, initial results were extremely
promising, however, we had to overcome an issue of each Mercury receiver
starting up at a random phase on power up,

Angelia is an outcome of this work and resolves the issue, the receive
performance is identical to Hermes and Mercury,

Angelia is a state-of-the-art soft core uP 4th generation DDC/DUC, a soft
core processor such as the NIOS-II or similar can be build right into the
FPGA for all the heavy lifting, there is enough room in the FPGA for all
sorts of possibilities, this is better than using a physical Cortex A8 or
similar processor as you may upgrade your uP in the code, this puts
OpenHPSDR back in the technology lead where it belongs! Thanks to Phil,
Kevin, Kjell, Alex, Doug, Bill, Hermann and others without whose work this
would not have been possible,

For folks who are buying Hermes, Angelia would be much more expensive and
you do not gain in performance unless you are going to use diversity
reception or beam forming,

OpenHPSDR is again the first to show a working prototype, you can have a
look at the  prototype Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r5MO1Fz5OU&feature=youtu.be

I'll try and make a better video as soon as I get some free cycles :),

73s,
ABhi