[hpsdr] RT Linux

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 09:49:51 PDT 2012

Yes, very easy to use also.  I used RT Linux to build a camera.  We
generated the signals to move charge across and out out the CCD sensor
using software.  These signals had a "hard" real time requirement.   Then
RT Linux allows non-realtime code to run just as in normal linux.  The code
to frmat the data and write it is "disk" or send it over a network was a
normal non-real time process.     It worked will because I was able to
telnet into the camera from across the Internet ad run tests or even
upgrade the software.

I think there is a rule about embedded software development that says the
more powerful the embedded chip the easier it is to write and debug the
software.  With a full on Linux OS running software development will go
very fast.   At the other extreme it  you had a uP that needed to be
programmed in assembly language, like say a PIC then you have to limit the
functionality becuase it is just s slow to develope the code.      You will
also find that a far wider group of developers can handle a larger system
running an OS like Linux than do low level coding on a uP.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Richard Ames <richard at ames.id.au> wrote:

> There are real time versions of Linux available.
>
> A useful starting place might be
>
> http://www.ibm.com/**developerworks/linux/library/**l-real-time-linux/<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-real-time-linux/>
>
> or
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**RTLinux<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTLinux>