[hpsdr] Angelia and VNA?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Aug 13 18:00:28 PDT 2012

Hi Warren,

Angelia will support the VNA functions that have been developed for
Hermes.  Since it has dual receivers it will actually enable two port
measurements without the need to reverse the DUT.

I have made a good start on the PC code that enables Hermes to be used as
a VNA. I have the Reflection mode working and can do Open/Short/Load
calibrations over a user selected range of frequencies.  The measured
impedance can be displayed on a (zoomable) Smith chart. The PC code also
calculates and displays the equivalent series and parallel impedance, and
equivalent circuits, along with the SWR and Return Loss.

I'm very pleased with both the accuracy and repeatability of the
measurements and it looks like Hermes-VNA will be a very useful item of
test equipment.

The changes to the Hermes FPGA code are very small, in which case we will
be able to incorporate them in a future version of code release and VNA
mode will be selectable via the Command and Control protocol.

I would like to develop the Transmission code and will then do a release
for Beta testers. I expect that will be a few weeks away.

We are also looking at implementing the VNA function on Mercury +
Pennylane + Metis but there are a few issues to solve in relation to
ensuring phase repeatability between Mercury and Penny.

If Dave, KV0S, could please add a page for the VNA project on the Wiki
then I'll post some PC screen shots.

73 Phil...VK6APH