[hpsdr] Angelia as a VNA

Raj Dewan, N2RD n2rd at arrl.net
Wed Aug 15 06:39:23 PDT 2012

I have a question regarding use of Hermes or Penelope/Mercury as a VNA.
I had heard that the driver in both of these was sensitive to low
impedance and would possibly be damaged if shorted.  How would that
affect the use as a VNA as a shorted load is a standard calibration.
Does one need a pad or is one built in to deal with this issue?

Raj, N2RD
Owner of Penelope/Mercury, Hermes ordered.

On 8/15/2012 3:12 AM, RW Mail List wrote:

> Hi Warren,
>
> If you have a look at the order of the emails, you'll see that my
> email was
> sent before Phil sent his email saying that he was writing VNA code. My
> understanding was that the firmware was there but someone needed to write
> the PC VNA code. But It looks as if Phil is writing the PC code, great.
>
> Roderick.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Warren Ziegler
> Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:21 AM
> To: hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org
> Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Angelia as a VNA

> Roderick,
>
>    Thanks for the reply but I am even more confused now.
> "But Hermes won't be able to be used as a VNA if no one develops VNA
> software "
> I thought that VNA was already a function of Hermes and wanted to know
> if it could be extended to Angelia, if the VNA function is not
> available in Hermes then we really are on speculative ground!

Raj Dewan, N2RD
FN13fc