[hpsdr] Mounting Hermes

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Thu Aug 16 00:50:39 PDT 2012

Hi Frank.

When Hermes PCB was constructed, it was designed to be installed both
ways. For use with Apollo in the Hammond enclosure (1455Q1601) Apollo is
mounted on the bottom for cooling of the PA transistors and Hermes is
installed on top with the components facing up. The interface cables are
connected to the bottom of Hermes (TX out, RX in, Power in and SPI).

For use with Abhi´s 15 W PA, Hermes is installed on top with the
components facing down. There are provisions for interface connectors on
the component side of Hermes for this use. Remember that the SPI connector
on top is different from the SPI on bottom (imaged)!

For better cooling of the ADC, I am using a small Heat Sink (Fisher PN:
ICK SMD E 15 SA or equivalent) fastened to the top of the ADC using dual
sided heat transfer tape or glue. This seems to be sufficient for cooling
even with 7 receivers running. I hope Phil can confirm this?

73, Kjell

På Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:56:47 +0200, skrev FRANCIS CARCIA