[hpsdr] eSSB for SDR's

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 02:01:41 PDT 2012

At 06:34 PM 8/26/2012, Glenn Thomas wrote:

>Hi all.
>
><FYI>
>
>In the USA, transmission bandwidths are regulated by 97.307(a) of
>the FCC rules, which reads, "No amateur station transmission shall
>occupy more bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and
>emission type being transmitted, in accordance with good amateur
>practice." This is rather general. Based on the required bandwidth
>for a telephone conversation, which is somewhere between 2.7 and 3.0
>KHz, the maximum bandwidth for an SSB emission (from a US station)
>is this same 2.7 to 3 KHz. Likewise, for a full DSB AM signal, the
>same rule indicates to me that the maximum bandwidth is more like 6 KHz.

2 comments:

1.  "Necessary bandwidth" is a fuzzy concept - necessary for (1)
basic intelligible speech?  (2) clearly intelligible speech (i.e.
sibilants)?  (3) faithful reproduction of speech, with a natural sound?

2.  It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.  In other
words, provided you respect other band users and the spirit of the
rules, then trying eSSB when things are quiet may eventually lead to
more clarity.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com