[hpsdr] SteppIR and Hermes

Vincenzo Capuano iz0rus at vgcsoft.org
Sun Dec 2 11:07:21 PST 2012

The SteppIR antennas require to be connected to the CAT to know the
frequency in use and tune the antenna.

With Hermes and PowerSDR that is fine as PSDR supports a CAT interface.

But, I understand (or I haven't been able to find it) that cuSDR does
not currently have support for a CAT interface.

To address this, I was thinking to write a simple CAT interface with a
PIC that reads the frequency from J15 in parallel with the
amplifier/Alex and puts the frequency on a serial port for the SteppIR
controller to read it.

A similar approach was used in the HELIOS
(http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HELIOS) project that was
reading the frequency from the Atlas bus.

I have a few questions:

1. Does Hermes provide the current frequency in use information on J15?
Or on another port?
2. Is there a better way to get this information?
3. Is this something somebody is already working on/planning to do it?

73,
Vincenzo - IZ0RUS