[hpsdr] Hermes Build Documents....

Rob Frohne rob.frohne at wallawalla.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:19:37 PST 2012

Hi All,

Could someone take some good high resolution photos of both sides of the
present build of Hermes for all of us builders to use.  Abhi has a
1024x768 view of the top side
<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vgOrW9tLXZo/T_M1ca_mnWI/AAAAAAAAAGY/tC4mS4l2-d8/s1600/Hermes.jpg>,
but I'd like. something we can zoom in on nicely.

I am proceeding on to building the back side of my Hermes board today.
I have Gerber files from Abhi, and have made an svg file from the
silkscreen layer and mirrored it.  It looks nice, but you can't search
it for a component, which would be really nice.  If anyone has tips for
that, please pipe up.  I am hoping some of you are ahead of me on this,
and have made some nice documentation of the build process.  If not,
what I have will be available, if someone directs me to the repository.

We have made a stencil for the back side already, and if all goes well,
I'll let you know how it works by this afternoon.  The gerbers have to
be fairly extensively modified to make a stencil for the front side, and
I have a friend working on that for me now.  I plan to send John Melton
a couple of sets of stencils for Europe and if someone here in the US
wants to coordinate passing them around here, I'm happy to make a few
sets for North America.  I also plan to make the stencil files available
so builders can have their own made commercially.

It would be nice to get a set of build instructions/videos up that will
make assembling the Hermes easier, maybe kind of like WB5RVZ did
<http://wb5rvz.com/sdr/> for the softrock or like the one we made
<http://people.wallawalla.edu/%7ERob.Frohne/UDays/SoftrockBuildNotes.html>
for how to use a toaster oven to solder a softrock and use a stencil
with solder paste here.   Videos like this one
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHvikd3BkY&feature=youtu.be>are are
also helpful.

Tnx & 73,

Rob