[hpsdr] Hermes Build Experience

Rob Frohne rob.frohne at wallawalla.edu
Tue Dec 18 13:46:41 PST 2012

Greetings,

I thought I would provide you with a short update on my experience
building Hermes.  There are some notes and links to photos on the Wiki
<http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Hermes_Board_Build_Notes>
too.  I wanted to test our stencil technology out with Hermes, because
it is a little more challenging than most of what we have done in the
past here.  The basic method is seen in this video
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHvikd3BkY&feature=youtu.be>.  We make
the stencil on an LPKF engraving machine.  The solder stencil is used to
lay on the solder paste on the board.  The components are then placed
with tweezers or what have you on the pasted board, and then it is baked
in the reflow oven or toaster if you don't have a regular reflow oven.

We had to modify the gerbers that Abhi provided because they were just
for solder mask, and the holes need to be smaller than that. We then
engraved one for the back and one for the front.  The back was done
first, and was quick, about an hour to place the parts and bake it.  It
worked very well.  The front was more challenging.  It took about
fifteen hours to place the parts.  It is like putting together a puzzle,
except you don't try pieces for fit, you find them and then carefully
place them.  Terry Long, N8AB, provided some help with finding the more
common parts through his documents, but the longest part of the process
is still like playing "Where's Waldo?"
<http://whereswaldo.com/index.html#findwaldo/map1>  I wish we had the
original design files in Kicad or some open source format, because then
you could quickly use the computer to search for and locate the parts.
As it is, the gerbers are vector graphics files (including the text) so
there wasn't an easy way to find the parts. Terry's files
<http://people.wallawalla.edu/%7ERob.Frohne/Hermes/1010_HERMES_PROD_BOM_N8AB.xls>
were searchable, because he labelled the parts.  There were some errors,
which I hope Terry will fix for us.  It took me about a week (where the
solder paste was just sitting drying on the board) to fit in the fifteen
hours to place the parts.  I was a little worried that the paste would
harden, but that didn't turn out to be a problem.  I probably wouldn't
leave it sitting around much more than a week though.  There is always a
risk something might bump it and the parts go everywhere.  I had mishaps
placing the FPGA and the LTC2208, and both of them had to be slid over,
smearing the solder paste a bit.  There were about 60 solder bridges,
mostly on the FPGA, but none evident on the LTC2208.  It took about an
hour and half with very tiny solder wick (about 1/16") and a good Metcal
iron to remove the bridges.  Having the right wick and a good iron is
important.  You need to use a new piece of wick on each bridge.

I am still waiting for some Mouser parts that I neglected to order until
this week, so I haven't powered it on yet.

The cost of the board and parts was about $450 without the LTC2208 or
the Altera FPGA which I had on hand already.

I am planning on making several more stencils, and passing on the ones I
used, so that others can build their own the same way I did. If you are
ready for one (and will pass it on within a couple of weeks to someone
else on the list), send me a personal email.  I'll send my stencil set
on, and over the next couple of days, we will make a few more sets.  I
will send John Melton one or two to send around Europe as well.

73,

Rob
KL7NA

--