[hpsdr] Frequency offset using Excalibur

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 8 20:09:09 PST 2012

Glenn:

There are several things going on here, so be careful not to mix them up.

The specified accuracy of the master oscillator in the Flex-3000 is ±
1.5 ppm
or ± 15 Hertz at 10 MHz.  You can trim this to essentially zero by using
the
Setup\General\Hardware Config\Expert\Clock Offset control. You are not
restricted to one Hertz steps when trimming the master oscillator,
and can trim it in much, much finer steps.

The "0-Beat" button is intended for fast tuning of CW signals, and only
has the
resolution/accuracy of one panadaptor bin width, so an error of ten or
fifteen Hertz
is typical.  It is NOT appropriate for use for high accuracy frequency
measurement .

PowerSDR itself, as used with Flex radios, and as it was used with
Mercury/Ozy,
does not contribute to frequency error. It gets a packet of data, and
returns a packet of
processed data. As long as the packets are sent and received in time
with the
clock domain in the radio, and you are getting your receive audio
through the
speaker/headphone jack on the radio, you should not see any errors from
PowerSDR.

If you want to dig deeper into any of this, as it applies to your
Flex-3000, it
is probably appropriate to move over to one of the FlexRadio forums.

--- Graham / KE9H

==