[hpsdr] Spectrum Analyzer Software Feature for Mercury

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sun Dec 9 15:40:30 PST 2012

Hi Tom,

Alright then, why not use the receiver in a narrow filter mode with the pass band of the filter on the region you wish to measure, then read the level directly on the main meter, as you suggest?

Certainly you can use two receivers on a single Mercury board, or dual Mercury boards if you prefer, to monitor the main signal in one region (again, use a narrow passband filter) and another region of interest in the other, as  you suggest.  There is no limitation in that regard.  The two receivers can even look at exactly the same frequency with different (or identical) passbands, for that matter.

The current RX2 PowerSDR program can do this, showing one level on the main RX1 meter and the other level on the RX2 meter.

As you note, you will have to subtract the two levels to get the relative level.

Alternatively, it is always possible (in theory at least)  to modify PowerSDR especially to your desires to create your very own personalized measuring instrument that performs whatever measurement you like.  Maybe the present PowerSDR capabilities are not what you seeking.

73,  Joe K5SO