[hpsdr] Metis/Ozy Together on Atlas

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Fri Dec 14 02:22:55 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 11:57 PM, John Marvin wrote:

> /But I wonder if there isn't another way of doing this. Perhaps a new
> extio that understands the metis/hermes UDP protocol combined with using
> VAC would allow development of an extio that doesn't need support within
> the program itself.  The VAC part wouldn't be necessary if you were
> happy with using the computer sound for the audio output. But if you
> wanted the sound to go back to the Mercury/Hermes you could set Winrad
> to output to VAC and the extio would have an option to listen on the
> other side of the VAC and send that audio back to Mercury/Hermes via the
> network interface. Just a simple weekend project as Phil likes to say//:)//./

John,

    I thought at this possibility when developing the ExtIO DLL for HPSDR, but then I dismissed
it because it negated the main advantage of using the on-board DAC of Mercury...  latency...
If you pass through VAC you have about the same latency of a real sound card.

The reduction in latency is directly perceivable if you enable both the sound card output and
the DAC output in the DLL... a few tens of a second...  that's why I took the way to modify
Winrad to send the demodulated audio through the reverse USB channel to Mercury for playback.
I would have preferred to keep the main program hardware-agnostic, relegating all the HW
specific functions to the ExtIO DLL, but in this case I had no choice.

BTW, while we are talking of this, I switched on my HPSDR combo after more than year that
it was on hold on a shelf (I needed the table space for other tasks), and noticed that the
DLL has some problems with the latest firmware V3.3 for Mercury.  I am modifying it (almost done)
and will upload it to the SVN when ready.

--
/*73 Alberto I2PHD*/