[hpsdr] Hermes Sweep Generator?

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Thu Dec 20 11:59:37 PST 2012

  John,

What is possible may depend on what your use case is. As Phil has
already mentioned, with special FPGA code anything is possible. His VNA
support allows for the possibility of a wideband sweep.  Using the
current non VNA features in the FPGA limits the current possibilities.
The transmit sampling rate is 48 Khz, which would allow for a narrowband
sweep anywhere within the 0-60Mhz range, i.e. you could choose any
starting frequency in the 0-60 Mhz range, but then could only sweep up
to a frequency ~48 Khz higher; which may be more than enough for many
particular use cases.

I did try a few experiments to see what else might be possible.  I was
curious about what happened when changing the TX center frequency while
transmitting a fixed sine wave. I wasn't sure if that would produce
glitches or not. But that actually worked. The center frequency
resolution is 1 Hz, so the sweep isn't purely linear, and there are
other limitations, but that might allow for some other possibilities.

I then went on to see if the two methods could be combined, although I
would have been surprised if this had worked. I'm not sure when a TX
center frequency change takes effect relative to the samples contained
within the same packet, and that will be dependent on the FPGA code
(i.e. it could take effect X samples in, depending on delay in the dsp
algorithm being used). This whole idea would be a fairly unstable method
of doing things anyway.  But I tried jumping the digital oscillator
frequency up 5 Khz at the beginning of a packet (but not restarting the
oscillator, i.e. maintaining the current phase) while at the same time
dropping the TX center frequency by 5 Khz (which would result in the
output frequency of the sine wave staying constant). I toggled that
behaviour back and forth  (i.e. up then down) roughly ever 2 seconds
(again on a packet boundary) to see if there were glitches. There were
glitches, which I would have been very surprised if that was not the
case.  It's possible with more internal knowledge that this could be
made to more or less work, but I'm not sure it would be worth
implementing something that depended so heavily on internal
implementation. The purpose of this test was to see if it might be
possible to do a sweep within a 48 Khz "window" while periodically
sliding the window to allow for any possible programmable behaviour over
a wide range of frequencies (without special FPGA code).

John
AC0ZG