[hpsdr] cuSDR

Hermann hvh.net at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 02:43:02 PST 2012

Dear Maximo, all,

if you plan to buy a new graphics crad, you don't need to stay on Nvidia,
unless you are really going to use Cuda.
IF you just want to use the current version of cuSDR with OpenGL, any
reasonable modern graphic chip will do.
E.g. you get pretty good cards for reasonable prize (30 to 50 Euro) which
will do the job.

Regarding Cuda:

I had some discussion with Alex (from the ghosdr3-alex branch of ghpsdr3)
recently, and I got questions regarding the use of Cuda and Nividia GPUs.
So I took another look at OpenCL and the experimental Qt package QtOpenCL
from the Nokia labs. I did compile QtOpenCL successfully on Win7 64Bit and
included it in cuSDR, and was able to launch some OpenCL kernels on my GPUs
as well on my CPU (using Intels OpenCL driver). I did some quick
calculations - some parallel vector additions - and it worked out very
nicely. Maybe I should have done this earlier, because it is fairly easy.

The result of this re-thinking is, that I probably will switch over to
OpenCL. The big advantge is, it can be used not only with Nvidia GPUs, but
also with AMD GPUs, with dedicated hardware which support OpenCL (like DSPs
on Mac - Hi Jeremy!), and with your OpenCL capable CPUs (using their SIMD
units), like the i7 Quadcore from Intel, or OpenCL capable AMD CPUs.
Parallelization for everyone!

So, instead of porting the CudaSharpDSP package to Qt/C++, I only have to
port the Cuda kernels to OpenCL kernels. Well, only...it will take some
time, though.

vy, Hermann

DL3HVH

P.S. I was just listeing to the last Teamspeak session, and some discussion
about compiling Qt on Windows: if anybody needs some help compiling the Qt
package on Windows 32 or 64 Bit, or wants to try the QtOpenCL package, just
let me know.