[hpsdr] Is Penelope U6 Toast?

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 08:35:09 PST 2012

Scotty, Phil

I looked at U6 using my stereo SMD assembly microscope and, although I
can blow it up to what ever size I need, I can't read the markings on
the chip.  As though they have been burnt off.  No holes, and no other
obvious problems.

In this case I was driving a 50 ohm load (in-line termination with a
connector at each end) and connected to a scope.  I believe that the
amplitude was about 5.6 vrms (15.8 v p-p), around 0.6 watts.  I know
this sounds high, especially when my T2 is one of the reversed ones.  I
can't guarantee the accuracy of my old (Tek 475) scope at 28MHz.  The
signal died away in about a second.  The info below is incorrect in that
the drive level at JP2 is about 1.3v p-p and the output is 88mv p-p.

Based on the above it looks like I will be replacing U6, but I am still
not sure what caused the problem.  My PA (the PA from a FT-900
transceiver) was developing bad distortion on the input when powered.  I
believe I have traced it to a bad transistor in one of the push-pull
stages.  I didn't have the amplifier connected when the problem
occurred, but U6 may have been stressed earlier by the distortion.

Thanks for the responses

Mike, K7SR