[hpsdr] computer processor advantages for HPSDR?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:42:04 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM, wbr at verizon.net <wbr at verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm toying with the idea of buying a new mobo and processor and am wondering if the software for HPSDR will take advantage of the quad-core features.  Is this something that the applications have to be written for or does the Windows o/s take care of using more cores?

An application has to be written to take advantage of more than one
core.  However if there is more than one application running then each
can run on one core.  Windows can and does assign application to
cores.  Almost certainly you are running multiple applications.

But first check and see if 100% of even one CPU is being used.  Unless
the CPU is the bottleneck, getting a faster one only means that an
even lower percent of the CPU is being used.

Some tasks can not be made to go faster, like watching a DVD movie,
getting a faster computer will not let you watch a two hour movie in
one hour.   Kind of the same with radio.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California