[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

jim goldenberg n1kwz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 17:27:45 PST 2012

I know the intent of Hermes, as stated in the first sentence of the Hermes description you will find the statement "I had the insane idea of merging the verilog code of Mercury and Penelope into a single fpga!  It puts most of that functionality into a single same size FPGA that is on the Mercury board.

Hermes eliminates components and boards to a complete SDR solution without major added component cost to what Mercury already has, so why does the cost double over Mercury? An SDR solution with Hermes should be significant less, but not when Hermes doubles in price over Mercury.

Can the developers chime in here?  Is the PCB layer count or construction technique adding significant cost, or you buying IP for the FPGA, was the estimate wrong?  What gives?

73
Jim, N1KWZ