[hpsdr] SDR Cost Comparisons vs Hermes

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Feb 24 13:36:49 PST 2012

Dear Rob,
You are absolutely WRONG to state that Scotty will be selling Hermes as a
'for profit' item from iQuadLabs!  Where did you get this nonsense?

It is TAPR who will be selling Hermes, and they will sell it to recover
costs, which is LESS THAN what a commercial seller would sell Hermes for.
Hermes most likely will be under the NCL until the first production run is
sold out by TAPR.  Then the developers-of-record MAY decide to change the
license to OHL, which would allow others to produce it commercially.

Hermes offers better performance than (but less flexibility than) a Mercury
plus PennyLane plus Atlas plus Metis plus Excalibur plus Pandora, and
provably costs less!  I do NOT understand all this misinformation and
bickering about the price that Hermes will sell for.

I dare say that Hermes with Apollo (that's like adding PennyWhistle plus
Alex plus an ATU to the above list) will sell for quite a bit less than the
collection of Atlas-bus boards needed to do the same thing.

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV