[hpsdr] Single chip SDRs

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 11:48:53 PST 2012

Actually, so long as you prevent overload,  the act of filtering and
downsampling increases the dynamic range so your statement needs to be
clarified by the TARGET sample rate after the Filtering/Decimation/DDC
stages and whether or not the design(s) allow for the processing gain.

Consider:

75,000,000/192,000   (for example) is quite a bit of processing gain  <<<
 SO LONG AS THE ACCUMULATORS IN THE FILTERS IN THE DOWNSAMPLING STAGES ARE
LARGE ENOUGH TO INCLUDE THE INCREASED DYNAMIC RANGE AT EACH STAGE OF
FILTERING AND DECIMATION >>>

Your comments on alias are spot on.

Bob
N4HY

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:

> There are a number of 'single chip' DDC SDR designs starting to appear on
> the market.  These incorporate the digital front end of a DDC in a single
> IC and follow the
>
> ADC > NCO > CIC > FIR
>
> architecture that we use in Mercury and Hermes.
>
> Examples of these ICs are the LM97593 and AFE8220-Q1. Both these chips
> incorporate dual DDCs which is a very nice feature.
>
> These chips are intended to be used primarily in Cell site base stations
> which have lesser requirements in relation to dynamic range and alias
> rejection than a high performance HF receiver.
>
> For example the LM97593 uses a 4th order CIC filter. This means that the
> first alias will only be 45dB down if a 64.512MHz clock is used for a
> final sampling rate of 192kHz. Once an alias signal has been generated it
> can't be removed using the subsequent FIR filters.
>
> Recent measurements on an SDR using this chip confirm this figure.
>
> The AFE8220-Q1 uses a 5 stage CIC filter and can sample at 75MHz which
> will improve the alias rejection.  However, it only provides a 16 bit
> output which limits the dynamic range to 96dB. This figure has to include
> any band noise so will be 10 to 20dB less in practice.
>
> There will be applications where such chips are very useful but just be
> aware of the limitations before building using these chips or purchasing
> ready built boards on eBay.
>
> Hopefully future generations of these ICs will be more suited to high
> performance HF receiver construction.
>
> On a more positive note, the new AD9253 Quad ADC could form the basis of a
> 4 receiver version of Mercury.
>
> 73 Phil...VK6APH

Bob McGwier
Facebook: N4HYBob