[hpsdr] Cyclops project review

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Jan 7 03:21:35 PST 2012

Whilst the prototype Cyclops 1GHz spectrum analyser boards are working quite
well, over the Christmas break I undertook a review of the project to see if
there were any new, or alternative, approaches we could take before
committing to further development.

I did some experiments that are documented on the Wiki and it would  appear
that there may be an alternative, simpler, architecture that has a number of
advantages over the current design but also some potential dissadvantages.

The write-up on the Wiki explains in some detail what is proposed. It's
possible that others have already tried this approach and perhaps come
across issues that I've not thought of so I'd appreciate comments from the
membership.

The Wiki write up is at  http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=CYCLOPS

Comments, feedback, suggestions etc. are most welcome.

Thanks

73 Phil...VK6APH