[hpsdr] Cyclops project review

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Jan 7 18:57:07 PST 2012

Hi Mike,

Cyclops at present is intended to be board that plugs into the Atlas bus.
To use it with Hermes it really depends on how many I/O pins are going to be
needed. If we can reduce this to some from of serial bus (I2C or SPI) then
its possible.

It could be used as a VHF/UHF down converter but would need suitable filters
at the input to reduce any image signals.  With the highest IF of 55MHz the
70cm filters would need to be quite well designed. The phase noise is not
going to be as good as a well designed converter based on a crystal LO.

73 Phil...VK6APH