[hpsdr] Still thinking outside the Box

Lucas Vogel vk4kyt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:51:50 PDT 2012

Hi all ...

I figure there are two or three major aspect of implementation of a VNA.

Firstly, whilst there has been an agreement that it is conceivable with
Hermes, I would feel that it is important to have an implementation that
used Mercury/Pennylane.  Having said that, I am very new to this SDR project
and have absolutely no idea about the viability of same ... from a hardware
or software perspective.

Has anyone given any thought to exactly what additional hardware (if any)
would be needed to implement a VNA in the HPSDR projects as they currently
stand?  I guess we have the expertise in this group to implement the
hardware. (if any)

Which brings me to my second point.  Phil has already stated that there is
some open source VNA software (which I had already found and downloaded J )
which should be a good starting point.  It was going to take me some time to
get my head around the PowerSDR software in it's own right. Add to that the
VNA software (written in Python by the way, not my native language) and I
have a steep learning curve and will need time to get up to speed.

Are there any programmers note and or other documentation that I can use to
help me get up to speed a bit more quickly?

--

Cheers

Luke

---

JP(Qual) : VK4KYT

----

Work thou not on energised equipment, for if thou doest,

thy fellow workers will surely buy beer for thy widow

and console her in other ways.

====