[hpsdr] Hermes for the beginner?

pedroj at bordernet.com.au pedroj at bordernet.com.au
Tue Jul 17 22:35:44 PDT 2012

Hello to the list,
  I have been away from this list for quite a while so please forgive me
if this has been covered while I was away.  Is the HERMES board a good
jumping on platform for a first time SDR user like me or should I go to
the discrete boards with an ATLAS?

I am really looking for a SDR I can control over the home wired ethernet
network from inside the house (shack is 50 metres away from the house and
cold on these winter nights in VK5).
Does / Will the TAPR produced board give me enough to get stared (add PC,
PSU, network, mic and speaker?) with HPSDR or are there more parts needed?

I see a web site or two that is promoting a PA and a box for HERMES as a
complete setup (including a HERMES board from them)

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj