[hpsdr] Fwd: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7....

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Jul 26 08:25:44 PDT 2012

I don't know if that's true (you may be thinking of the old Selective
Availability, which was turned off quite a while ago).  As I understand
it, the main issue is that the geometry of the satellites just doesn't
allow as precise a fix of altitude as it does the other axes.

To get best accuracy in altitude, you'd like a fix that includes
reference points both above and below your location.  But the GPS can't
see satellites that are below the horizon, so the quality of the fix
suffers.

John