[hpsdr] Penelope Troubleshooting

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sun Jul 29 14:35:27 PDT 2012

USM-281A seems to be a 50 MHz bandwidth 'scope.  It won't display the
ADC clock (122.88MHz), or some of the faster signals. The lower data
bits going to the ADC may be changing too fast to see accurately, but
you should be able to see the slower-changing higher data bits.  And
here we don't need to measure them accurately, but just see if they are
changing, especially see that that they are not all always low.

You'll want to use a 10-x probe so that the scope probe doesn't load
down the data lines too much.  Even a 10-x probe may have too much
capacitance to avoid affecting the performance--but again, all we need
to know is if the data from the FPGA to the DAC is changing, and we
don't intend to leave the scope probe on while we're actually using
Penelope.

73,
Dave
WA8YWQ