[hpsdr] why are my messages being bounced as 'too big'?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Jul 31 19:49:34 PDT 2012

> Likewise. I wonder if M$ Outrook is either adding LOTS of unneeded
> header lines or perhaps an attachment of some sort?
>
> 73 de Glenn

I've used various versions of Outlook for years.  Quite a few of the
messages I receive from the hpsdr list arrive with no body text at all
except for the tag line ("***** High Performance Software Defined Radio
Discussion List *****.")  Instead, there are three attached files, two .txt
files and an .htm.

In the case of Chris Albertson's most recent reply, for instance, these
attachments show up as "Untitled attachment 00296.txt (2KB)," "Untitled
attachment 00299.htm (2KB)," and "Untitled attachment 00302.txt (418 B)."
In order to read these messages, I have to open one of the attachments
manually -- either the first .txt attachment or the equivalent .htm
attachment.   These have the same textual content.  The third .txt
attachment just contains the standard footer with posting/subscription
instructions.

I have a hard time believing that this particular nonstandard behavior is
"M$ Outrook"'s fault, because it doesn't affect any other of the dozens of
mailing lists I read.   More likely, the list manager is using some sort of
unusual configuration option that could be fixed if the admin(s) were aware
of it.  Unfortunately because I've never seen it happen elsewhere I don't
know what to suggest.  It's not really that big a headache from my
perspective, but perhaps the same issue is causing other problems for other
users.

-- john, KE5FX