[hpsdr] Boat Anchors..PreAmps

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Tue Jun 5 13:30:31 PDT 2012

I must say that a very smart guy involved in SDR once told me that ANYTHING you put in front of our quality AD or QSD will add some non-linearity.  Ferrites, capacitors, etc.  But, having blown two ADs by out of the blue lightning (one several miles away and one closer) when directly coupled to the antenna makes me willing to accept that minimal distortion.  Actually the second strike had a X2 pre-amplifier in front, but the AD was turned on.  Remember that the maximum input voltage is usually listed as some base amount plus Vd.  They may be safer turned on than off.

N0UU