[hpsdr] NPR of Mercury (was: Boat Anchors..PreAmps)

Adam Farson farson at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 8 00:11:39 PDT 2012

Hi Alex,

Today was an ideal day for lab work - raw, wet, rainy, 12°C. So I spent part of the day measuring NPR on the Perseus in various configurations. First, I measured NPR with the preselector out, and a -3 dB noise-loading bandwidth of 35 MHz for the 1940 kHz notch and 30 MHz for all other cases. I derived correction factors for a hypothetical 40 MHz noise-loading bandwidth (fs/2). The preamp and dither were off for all cases.

The following results were obtained:

1940 kHz notch: NPR = 63 dB observed/76 dB calculated. Correction factor = 12.5 dB.

3886 kHz notch: NPR = 68 dB observed/78 dB calculated. Correction factor = 10 dB.

5340 kHz notch: NPR = 66 dB observed/74.5 dB calculated. Correction factor = 8.5 dB.

7600 kHz notch: NPR = 68 dB observed/75 dB calculated. Correction factor = 7 dB.

All four calculated NPR values were reasonably close to the theoretical 74 dB maximum shown in ADI MT-005, Fig. 2, p.3.

I then repeated the four test cases with the preselector in. I used the same noise-loading bandwidths as above, first without band limiting and then with the appropriate band-limiting filters selected in the noise generator. The observed NPR for all four cases with preselector in was in the range 71 - 72 dB.

For all cases, the observed NPR with the band-limiting filter was 4 to 5 dB higher than without. This may indicate passive IMD in the preselector filters.

I concur that any comparison with the theoretical maximum NPR value is relevant only to the specific case where the applied noise bandwidth equals fs/2.

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ