[hpsdr] Windows 8 works with KISS

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Mar 9 13:26:53 PST 2012

Dear List Members,
I just installed the Windows 8 64 bit image in a VMWare virtual machine on
my laptop.  After setting the network configuration to 'bridged', I was able
to run KISS (albeit slowly...) in the virtual machine and have it discover a
Metis card and have RX work.  I did have to download and install .Net
Framework 3.5 for this to work.  It isn't (yet?) part of the Windows 8
preview at this point.  It is part of Windows 7.

This suggests that KISS and PowerSDR will likely work on Windows 8, at least
on a laptop or desktop.  Don't expect it to work on any 'fondleslab',
netbook, etc.  Definitely isn't likely to work on the Windows for ARM, which
won't be out for 3-6 months after Windows 8 is actually released, from what
I've read.

KISS and PowerSDR are VERY unlikely to be ported to become 'Metro'
applications.  But if you click on 'desktop' on the 'big button' start page,
you'll get to a desktop that looks a lot like Windows 7.  I was able to copy
and paste my KISS folder onto the machine and run the above tests.

73,
George K9TRV