[hpsdr] Cyclops Ideas

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 14:36:04 PDT 2012

For my casual bench use I would prefer a solid input easy to repair!!!!!  Haven't blown one yet, but sweat a lot worrying if something goes into oscillation, etc.  And my old stuff won't be easy to repair.  Having lost 2 ADs in my QS1R from nearby storms........

Switching MiniCkt SMA attenuators is a pain.  I also don't intend to be searching often for weak signals so would add external amp(s) if needed.

Input NF with some of the active mixers looks to be higher than diode ones, but require less LO drive and have less LO to the RF.

I would prefer switched attenuators in front of the mixer on FR4 (assuming leveling compensation will be in the software).  Would then generally run with an external amp selected for whatever application (gain/bandwidth) I need.  And ones I can easily fix.

Just a minimalist approach.

N0UU