[hpsdr] Still having trouble

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Wed Mar 7 05:17:58 PST 2012

Dear Bill,

The comment to which you refer ('these signed driver will work on Windows 7
64 bit') means that the drivers are appropriate for ALL windows users.  The
previous package did NOT work with Windows 7, 64 bit (or vista 64 bit), as
64 bit windows versions REQUIRE 'signed' driver packages.  All drivers are
included in the package, so it is appropriate for all 32 bit and 64 bit
windows versions.

The first part of the sentence, 'PowerSDR code requires the following USB
drivers to run', was the indication that you wanted to download this
package.  The second part was assurance that it would work on Windows 7 64
bit.  Now, I do think that the word 'following' is the only misleading thing
in the sentence.  That line should be ABOVE the driver link and not below
it.  Or else the word 'following' should be changed to 'above'.

I should know, as I was one of the ones involved in making the signed driver
package.

Then what follows are links to PowerSDR and to KISS, both application
software.

The list of things that you CAN download on the downloads page does NOT mean
that you have to download them all.  You download what is appropriate for
what you are doing.  OpenHPSDR is an 'experimenters' project.  Some amount
of knowledge is presumed up-front.  But if you don't have that knowledge, we
will do our best to help you along.

If you don't want 'diversity' in PowerSDR, simply do NOT download the
diversity version, which I think requires the special firmware to be used.
In any event, if you are using KISS, you want the 'Unified' version as we
are no longer supporting

It's not the 'wiki' so I can't edit it, otherwise I would.  I've copied Dave
KV0S so that he can change the wording.  It would be good to mark the KISS
USB and Ethernet versions as 'deprecated' or to remove them.  It would be
good to change the word 'following' to 'above' in the LibUSB0 driver text
that you mention, and to add words that clarify that the LibUSB0 driver is
for all versions of windows.  Except likely Windows 8.  Please do NOT ask
for Windows 8 support any time soon!  There is a lot of investigation that
will have to be done to even determine if we want to go there.  It's a fine
OS for tablets and such (touchscreen devices), but most people that I've
seen write think it's a lousy design and paradigm shift for a desktop or
laptop OS.  It may be similar to a few years back when most of us (and most
businesses) 'avoided' going to Windows Vista!

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV