[hpsdr] Favorit soldering method ?

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Sat Mar 10 00:05:21 PST 2012

Hi Rob.

We had a project in the local Radio Club building an APRS Tracker (Polaric
Tracker) and used a reflow oven for soldering. There were a lot of
components on the PCB and after 1,5 hours the paste did not stick to the
PCB and it was difficult to place the components correctly. May be the
paste was not good but we ran into problems.

When I built my 2 Hermes Beta boards I had to add some liquid flux to the
paste to get it a bit more soft. Without a Pick-and Place machine I spent
at least 5 hours to place all components and also now the paste dried and
it was difficult to have the components to stick to the pads.

I agree that to use an oven for soldering is the best method. The stencil,
at least a laser cut is quite expensive but if there are many builders
that can use them it may be done.

73, Kjell

På Sat, 10 Mar 2012 01:34:15 +0100, skrev Rob Frohne