[hpsdr] spikes

John Westmoreland john at westmorelandengineering.com
Wed Mar 14 12:38:14 PDT 2012

Erik,

A few things I have noticed too may tie in with what you're seeing.

While playing with the PowerSDR source, and adding more debug info;
performance naturally degrades.  Maybe a better term may be program
response and performance.  This causes the display to appear to have more
amplitude issues; noise floor issues; etc.  In other words the screen it a
bit jumpy and it'll eventually get to the point where audio isn't decoded
if I add too much debug.  So, in a nutshell;
a high performance computer is important on which to run PowerSDR.   Of
course it runs a performance test at installation time to determine that;
so in most cases people should be OK.  I haven't looked to see how well the
multiple RX version comprehends this issue.  It may be worth your time just
to try PowerSDR on another machine just to double-check.  I have seen
phantom spikes too; and I have Alex installed.  I have not yet installed
the optional Alex ground points but I will soon.
Adding the debug to the program exacerbates the spikes.  When I tune close
to them they disappear - sometimes not on 10m - but that is why I need to
get those optional grounds connected.

Also, I have had smart meters installed recently (didn't ask for them) as
well as AT&T UVerse (XYL wanted it) - and my shack is currently in close
proximity to those; and I have definitely seen ingress due to that -
especially on 160m.  And apparently some on 80m.

I have even done a capture (160m) and sent to a colleague of mine here
(fellow Ham as well) that is a signals expert and his determination was it
is definitely man-made.  In other words, ingress from one of those
sources.  I have not yet determined which one yet.  So, just wanted to
mention that in case something similar has happend close to your shack.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

73's,
John
AJ6BC